Salesforce Data Classification: Metadata Field Reporting
Salesforce data classification reporting provides high-level visibility into the different types, locations and sensitivity levels of the data in your Org. This information is information for internal business purposes, like verifying user behavior or monitoring sensitive information, or to satisfy data subject access or deletion requests under GDPR/CCPA regulations.
In Salesforce, data classification metadata fields can be used to produce a wide range of custom reporting. Some potential use cases include identifying PII or building extra-granular access controls around sensitive data. Regardless of its purpose, the platform offers a lot of flexibility in terms of what you can report and how you can filter those results. Here's a quick primer video, with a step-by-step guide to follow:
Creating Salesforce Data Classification Metadata Field Reports:
- To expose the metadata fields, create a custom report type
- From Setup, enter Report Types in the Quick Find box, then select Report Types
- Click New Custom Report Type
- For Primary Object, select Entity Definition
- Fill in the remaining fields and click Next
- Add a child object. Click the box under the primary object and select Field Definitions
- Click Save
- Exit Setup and click the Reports tab to generate your report
More Data Classification Resources
Data classification is a hot topic here at Strongpoint. Check out recent posts about customizing your Salesforce data classification settings, read about the reasons to implement data classification, or start with the basics: What Is Data Classification?
We've also got a Salesforce Data Security Checklist with a broader look at Salesforce data security. Download your free copy here: