One of the most useful customization features in NetSuite is custom segments. In this blog post, we'll explore what custom segments are, why they are important, and how you can use them to get the most out of your NetSuite system.
What are Custom Segments in NetSuite?
Custom segments are a feature in NetSuite that allow you to create additional fields to categorize your data. You can think of custom segments as tags that you can assign to different records in your system. For example, you might create a custom segment for a customer's industry or a product's market segment.
Why are Custom Segments Important?
Custom segments are important because they allow you to better organize and analyze your data. By adding additional fields to your records, you can more easily filter, group, and report on your data. This can be especially useful for organizations with complex product lines, multiple locations, or diverse customer bases.
How to create a Custom Segment in NetSuite
Creating a custom segment in NetSuite is a straightforward process. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Log in to your NetSuite account with administrator access.
- Go to Customization > Lists, Records & Fields > Custom Segments.
- On the Custom Segments page, click the "New" button.
- Select the record type to which you want to add the custom segment. For example, you may want to add a custom segment to the "Customer" record type.
- Give your custom segment a name that clearly identifies what it represents. For example, if you're adding a custom segment to the customer record, you may want to name it "Customer Industry".
- Write a brief description of the custom segment, so you and other administrators will know what it's for.
- Choose a data type for your custom segment. The available data types are: checkbox, currency, date, decimal number, email address, free-form text, integer number, multiple select, percent, phone number, and single select. Choose the data type that best suits your needs.
- Set any additional properties you want for the custom segment, such as whether it is required or has a default value.
- Click the "Save" button.
Once you have created the custom segment, you can add it to the record type you selected. For example, if you created a custom segment for the "Customer" record type, you can add it to the customer record by going to the "Custom Fields" tab on the customer record, selecting the custom segment you just created, and entering the appropriate value.
You can also use custom segments to create custom reports and saved searches. For example, you might create a saved search that shows all sales transactions for a particular product line, based on the custom segment you've assigned to each product.
Custom segments are a powerful customization feature in NetSuite that can help you better organize and analyze your data. By creating custom segments for your records, you can more easily filter, group, and report on your data, which can be especially useful for organizations with complex product lines, multiple locations, or diverse customer bases. If you're not already using custom segments in NetSuite, it's definitely worth exploring how they can help you get the most out of your system.